Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Cubby Upgrade v1.0


Sarah is in full-on decorator mode, which has relegated me to the role of handyman that gets a mere two minute per episode cameo where I teach the awkward husband how to refinish a reclaimed dresser with white paint and walnut stain so he feels useful.

We have this terribly dated (1968, to be exact) built-in that needs some new life. Our really white walls probably need some life, too. We'll save that for another day...

I am too ashamed to post a pic of the cubby with the mirror and glass shelf that once inhabited the space. Yes, unpainted wood paneling is better than reckless mirror placement. Side note: Why were our parents (and there parents) so susceptible to the ad campaigns by the coalition of mirror and popcorn ceiling producers that claimed an increase in space perception and living room acoustics? I'm on a mission to right these wrongs.

I'm putting wood where glass once was. Paint where mirror sat.

So we removed all breakables. We would have painted last night, but a massive storm saw to it that we spent the evening huddled in a cramped closet with flashlights and a battery-powered radio as a tornado that wasn't, then was, then wasn't again moved through our neighborhood.

The wood shelves are cut (and one is pictured; we named him Adam). I got some nice decorative wood trim from our local home improvement store to maintain a little charm.

I'll end the barrage of run-on sentences now.

1 comments:

Mrs. Mitchell said...

You will look back 20 years from now and ask yourself - "What was I thinking when I did that?" You will look back at those pictures of your home and the clothes you were wearing and wonder - "Did I have any good taste?" We all do! LOL! But, for right now - it looks great!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010. Antennas Toward The Sky. Powered by Blogger.