Thursday, August 5, 2010

How 'bout some art?

I got to do a little art project on the side this week. Sarah's third grade class makes shirts every year to wear for school pride Fridays and as an organizational tool for the teachers during field trips.

This year's theme for the grade is retro 60's. This shirt progressed from the iconic Woodstock poster to a more general (and refined) typographic solution. Everything is hand-drawn.

There is a subtle drop shadow used sparingly to give the art a little dimension. Of course, "Hippie" is raised in hierarchy by outlining the word. Psychedelic flowers are treated crudely so they'll appeal to eight-year-olds, but they round out the visual elements that reinforce the retro theme.

I thought "Don't Worry Be Hippie" was the perfect phrase for kids to have fun with. I doubt the students will appreciate these shirts as much as the circus ones I did last year. I think kids can probably relate to elephants and big tops, but we'll just pretend that this is a learning experience about the counter-culture, draft and how to end a war.

1 comments:

Mrs. Mitchell said...

Those are so cute! I wish I could have ones for my class. We'll see.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010. Antennas Toward The Sky. Powered by Blogger.